Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fear and Respect for Words

If I'm completely honest with myself, my greatest flaw is that I'm afraid of being outspoken.  I lack candor and boldness.  I fear saying things I can't take back.  I fear meaning I can't fully express.  Mostly, I fear that my words will expose myself as weaker than I believe I am.  But the truth is my fear is futile, I say a lot of things without words.  This is one of the reasons I love running.  It teaches you to express yourself and listen to yourself without words.

Nevertheless, this blog is an attempt at facing my fears.  I don't know if it is possible to practice being more assertive and articulate but it can't hurt to try.  Communication is valuable and we all have something to say.  In fact, as scared as I am of speaking my mind, I'm equally as inspired by other people speaking theirs.  I love how song lyrics can speak volumes.  I love how cursing makes me feel stronger.  I love how the word "love" in the correct context can change somebody's world.  I've been watching a new show called Off the Map and the story line of that last episode revolved around the characters having a very similar fear to mine.  A father was told to write a note to his daughter to comfort her as her leg was being amputated and he could not find the words.  One of the doctors wrote for him, "I'm here -Dad"  It made all the difference.  Later on in the show another doctor sent home a picture to his parents whom he hadn't been speaking to and on the back he wrote "I'm here."  We don't have to say a lot, and often others say it much better, but it is the saying that will make the difference.
So without further ado, I just wanted to say,
I'm here -Laura

Note: I apologize in advance for my one-track mind.  This blog could very soon become a list of "running is like life" metaphors.  But most of the the time running is my life and I wouldn't have it any other way!

1 comment: