Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Life of the "Elite"

In class we have been discussing what elements go into the making of an "elite" athlete.  This of course means we had the typical nature versus nurture debate that ended in the usual "yes, it's both."  In this case, it's usually a hundred percent of both.  Leaving us with 200% of requirements...but I think much more goes into becoming the very best at what you do.  You need the best genes, the best "gifts," the best environment, and the best opportunities, but in the end what separates the great from the best is a touch of serendipity.

Although incredibly corny, one of my favorite songs is Michael Buble's Just haven't met you yet.  The mentality, "I guess it's half timing, and the other half's luck" emerges routinely in my life.  Despite my daily efforts to pursue what I believe my fate should contain based on my talents and environment, God continually reminds me if half is timing and half is luck, and I can do math correctly, that leaves very little room for my plans.  Of course this doesn't mean effort and talent and circumstance don't play a role. Of course they do. They put you in a position to benefit when timing and luck turn your way.


This idea is one of the great lessons athletics has taught me about life.  You work towards your dreams and goals, (whether they be related to sport, or academics, or career, or true love) but not because the end result is make it or break it in defining who you are.  Ultimately, the way in which you pursue these goals and wisdom and genuine experiences is what defines you as a person.  I recently discovered the musical artist M. Ward.  His song Epistemology quickly has become the soundtrack of my life. He references Galatians 5:22 "But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."  A successful life is pretty simple, just keep putting the "right foot in front of the left."



Simply chasing,
Laura 

No comments:

Post a Comment