Friday, July 8, 2011

Gone Country


"Yeah, that came out a little country
But every word was right on the money"
Blake Sheldon, Honey Bee
 
Country music.  It's like an olive, you either love and embrace it or are repulsed by it.  While I understand the repulsion (trust me, the song Courtesy of the Red White and Blue makes me sick to my stomach),  there is an honesy and truth to many of the songs that intrigues me.  A friend once told me her favorite music was country music because it was so much like real life.  I admit my life isn't all beer, mud, and tractors.  Still, I tend to agree with her setiment, country music for me at least seems so genuine.  You don't have to call alabama home to be "singing sweet home alabama all summer long."  So tis the season.  The sun is shining, the water is glistening, and I'm kicking up dust on the trails with my ipod blaring the country.

Some of my favorite country song lines:

She has future plans and dreams at night
When they tell her life is hard she says that's alright
-Faith Hill, She's a Wild One

We call them fools
Who have to dance within the flame
Who chance the sorrow and the shame
That always come with getting burned
-Garth Brooks, Standing Outside the Fire

I wanna walk and not run, I wanna skip and not fall
I wanna look at the horizon and not see a building standing tall
I wanna be the only one for miles and miles
Except for maybe you and your simple smile
-Dixie Chicks, Cowboy Take Me Away

We're getting stronger now, found things they never found
They might be bigger but we're faster and never scared
You can walk away and say we don't need this
But there's something in your eyes says we can beat this
-Taylor Swift, Change
So how do you wait for heaven
And who has that much time
And how do you keep your feet on the ground
When you know that you were born
You were born to fly
-Sara Evans- Born to Fly

There's a time to listen, a time to talk
And you might have to crawl even after you walk
Had sure things blow up in my face
Seen the longshot, win the race
Been knocked down by the slamming door
Picked myself up and came back for more
-John Michael Montgomery, Life's a Dance

And my latest fav:
 
Never gonna grow up, Never gonna slow down
We were shinin' like lighters in the dark
In the middle of a rock show
We were doin' it right, we were comin' alive
Yeah, caught up in a Southern summer, barefoot, blue jean night
-Jake Owen, Barefoot Blue Jean Night

Till next time, y'all keep on chasing summer 

No comments:

Post a Comment